Wednesday, March 19, 2014

From High Sec Care Bear to Low Sec Villain

     My journey in EVE Online didn't start out as a ruthless Venture hunter, I was actually the one being hunted.  I originally started out as a high-sec care bear.  Fearless roaming about in 1.0 space, and tackling astroid belts one by one in Todeko. Then one day, that became rather boring.  A CEO of a dying corporation, it was hard to remain enthusiastic about the game, all of the members had left to venture into the world of PvP, at the time I was not the biggest fan of this idea.  So there I was left almost entirely along with the equipment to run a small mining / industrial corporation.  I tried mining by myself for awhile, but that gets boring..... fast.  So, I left the game.

    Living with a real life EVE-aholic (meant and said in the most loving way possible)  doesn't help in making it necessarily easy to stay away from the game entirely. The game itself is beautiful to watch and I enjoy watching the destruction and the rage of some players. The social side of the game is really interesting to me as well. I enjoy coming home  from work to hear the battle stories of the day, the tears that were shed or what was going on that day - it sure was more interesting then my work day...

    It wasn't until January 2014 I got tired of Brink Albosa asking me repetitively "So, you ever thought about coming back to EVE?" or "You coming back to EVE yet?"I told him I have thought about it, but with a busy work and school schedule it didn't seem possible. I thought about it a little while longer and I caved, I reactivated my old account with intent on becoming a pirate.  I was dead set on using my old character for my new life.  I logged on only to discover what a mess it was.  Assets everywhere across the EVE Universe, still determined to use this character, operation clean up began. After about an hour of trying to gather everything into one station I threw in the towel and gave up.  

   Nora was born.

    I spent my first few days doing tutorials and running missions to get use to the game mechanics and re-learn how to play the game. After I was some what comfortable with the game again, I packed up my rookie ship and headed to Adirain. I then set up a skill queue to last the weekend and I headed with Brink to Milwaukee for an EVE Online meet up. After meeting more people that played EVE I was totally ready and stoked to be playing again. 

  A few days later I was ready to try PvP for the first time. My prey - some retriever in Adirain who had claim to have purchased several mining permits from various players. I stated none were mine so he was fair game. I really was not interested in selling him a permit, I just wanted to kill him. I ended up ransoming him into giving me 87mil isk, and he had to put my name in his bio (it suggested to get more then just isk from him by Gaylourde Madullier).  Still blows me away to this day, but he did.  I let him go in return. 


   This was only the start to my night. I was also learning how to use D-scan.  The night continued and I was able to find and destroy (with the help of Gaylourde and Remi Nardieu) a Corax, Astero, Maller and 3 Ventures - and pod almost all of them too. 

   The low-sec life had me, hook line and sinker.


~N. Albosa




2 comments: